Thursday, March 13, 2008

Back from Vacay



I'm really getting bored and tired of cleaning this damn house.




On another note I am so glad I went to Curacao for my mother's birthday. It was release in a sense for me. For one it was nice to get away from my minuscule problems that have been plaguing before I went. It sort of felt like a retreat for me. Too just get away for a minute was great. Not only that it was good to see my parents and my sister again. I think all of being apart really took a strain on me. I didn't realize how much I missed my family until I saw them again. As for my dad this trip was the best thing for him. Recently my father has been extremely sick. So sick that some people said that it looked like he was going to die. I guess for me I didn't really want to believe it because as much as your parents bug you they are supposed to be the strongest people you know especially my dad. To hear that he was just unbelievably sick; I chose not to believe because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it. When I saw him at the airport in Miami I hardly recognized him. He was so skinny and frail that I was in complete shock. I didn't want to leave his side. Well as soon as we land in Curacao my father saw one of old friends and it was a wrap. It was as if he was never sick. He just fell into his old self; kidding and playing around as if he wasn't sick at all. As for me, not eating that much for weeks before that was the best thing for me. Being the fat kid that I am the first thing that I did when I got off the plane was get a sate batata which is the Chinese version of sate and french fries. I literally gained like seven pounds when I was down.


I also forgot how much I loved Curacao. So rich with culture and history it was like an anthropologist's wet dream. I was completely in my element. Everything from the people to the way Otrobanda and Punda was situated almost as if untouched and unharmed by tourism. It was great; I couldn't be happier. The food was great, the people were great the atmosphere was perfect. I couldn't ask for anything more. And then when we went to Kenepa beach, it just solidified my trip. To be at the clear blue water secluded from the rest of the world was perfect. Of course because it was the weekend there was a bunch of tourists and locals there but I didn't mind because it reminded me of when I was younger. Going there with barbecue and awa lamunchi and staying in the water until you became all prunelike was the time of my life as a child. Anyway so I see some of the kids from Bandabou jumping off this cliff and I'm just like damn I want to do that too. I want to feel like a local. So as one of them finished jumping he swims towards the shore so he could he jump again. My sister is just like stop being a punk and go ask them if you could do it. So I ask homeboy in Papiamentu if it was easy to jump and he's like yeah. So I'm like I want to do it and he's like come on. So I go with him and literally as we get closer my stomach is going crazy. I past my mother and my aunts and my mother is looking at me as if I better not kill myself because she'll do it for me. So we're at the edge of the cliff and everybody is looking at the water. In the back of my mind I'm like oh shit someone just got hurt and here I am about to kill myself. Come to find out one of the kids in the water found a blue fish so everyone was looking at that. Anyway I'm standing there and homeboy is like just jump. I looked at him as if he was crazy I thought he was going to jump first. So I'm like where should I jump and he's like just jump where there's sand it's that easy. I'm looking at him like yeah right. So all the locals in the water is like don't look down just go and jump don't think about it. So I moving to the edge looking like I'm about to go jump double dutch and then all of sudden I let go of all my problems and fears and when I open my eyes I'm in the air. Then all of sudden I feel the sting of the water on my butt and it was the best feeling ever. I had never done something so liberating before. I guess that how those women felt burning their bras in the sixties. I'm glad I did it, next time I go I'm just going to go jump and not even think twice about it.


Anyway the whole purpose of that trip was for my mother's birthday party. And trust me I have never seen my mother so happy. First off the party was a success with easily over a hundred people there. Then my aunt gave my mother one of the best presents ever. She brought a folkloric dance group to come and dance. And since my mother was a dancer this was perfect they even got one of the traditional outfits and let her dance in it. Then to top it off they got one of the from Gio ( a very popular band in Curacao) to come and sing for her and my dad for the 25th wedding anniversary. It was perfect. My grandmother also turned eighty so to see her in her element as well and to see how emotional she got when she saw how we were all there it almost made me tear up. Sidenote the best part for me was this lady that they hired to all of the cooking. She cooks right there in front of everyone and the food was ridiculously good. I swear if I had the money that lady's sole purpose would be to cook for me. That shit was so good.
Anyway everything was a success and I'm glad my mother got the party of her dreams, my dad got healthier and me and my sister were able to get away from our hectic lives.




Sidenote: I'm really sick and tired of cleaning this damn house.

No comments: