Saturday, January 28, 2012

Some Random Thoughts on the Megabus

So today is my birthday and it was decided that I would take a trip to Boston to be with a good friend of mine for the weekend. It's rather interesting what goes on in the morning in the city. So far I've seen street cleaners, a nice old man feeding the pigeons, a woman doing boot camp with her instructor and some runners. It's all distinct New York. Everything about it is part of what makes this city and what makes it great. I love it.

So while waiting for the megabus there were plenty of interesting observations that I noticed. I walked into Dunkin Donuts to get something for myself and my father. While waiting on line, there were a couple of guys trying to figure out what they wanted. The conversation ensues:
Guy 1: I think I going to get a latte.
Guy 2: Whatya think this is? Starbucks?
I immediately begin to giggle a bit since that was exactly what my father wanted (a latte) and that was the exact same response I was thinking when I initially walked into the Dunkin Donuts. Anyway I make my order, receive my purchases and leave. Once I get on the bus, I notice there is an array of nonAmericans riding to Boston with. I don't find this particularly peculiar but I find it interesting that this isn't the first time I've noticed this. Oh and it's mainly Europeans, which brings me to my main point. I love the fact that when foreigners, primarily Europeans, come to the US, the find the cheapest ways to get around and do things. They'll be the ones to stay in hostels or cheap places and they'll be the ones to take megabuses to other parts of America. In this respect, we should be more like them. Of course be careful of surroundings, especially with a hostel, but take chances. See the world as best you can.

And with that note,

Peace, Axé

No comments: