Friday, August 15, 2008

I Love my Mestre

I realize that I turned into a girl. Now I'm not talking about how I reverted from a woman to a girl but how I became a girly-girl: afraid to do anything. At class today Mestre was making us do all these different flips such macaco and au sem mao to name a few and I felt like I couldn't even do the easier ones. And what made matters worse Mestre was letting a 9-year old show us how to do moves. It was bad enough that I felt completely scared of doing these moves, now some child is making me look like idiot. And you could definitely see that Mestre almost wanted us to feel like so much like dunce that it would make us try harder. But for me I started to revert back to my old days where I would instantly ball up and go into my zone and just feel like I can't do anything. And by the end of the night I was just feeling so pissed off at myself because I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to go back where I was.

Mestre said something to me afterwards that made me realize something. He said the most simple thing to me that is relevant right now. He said "Yoo gotch to believe in yoself my friend, I believee in yoo" (my best attempt at a Brazilian accent). Basically to me this was the first time someone in that position has shown deep sincerity in my success. Even though Mestre is not a coach...... to me I felt that I never had a coach who actually cared about me like that and it was the most beautiful thing. When I was leaving all I could was hug him as close as possible and when he told me he loved me I said it back with the most sincerity. Now being down here without my parents makes it hard because you don't have a little cheering section to tell you that you can do it. But to know that my teacher genuinely cares for me is something that I can never forget. I truly honestly appreciate it.

Sidenote: I will leave you with the words of Bob Marley "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery none but ourselves can free our minds" (Redemption Song). I feel in his own way Mestre was telling us this exact same quote. And I think this applies to all different situations today. We are the only ones holding ourselves back from greatness. (Damn I should write for Hallmark, lmao)

Anyways,
Peace, Axe

No comments: